The development of the arment began in 1440 (Italy) and remained in use until the end of the 15th . While hugely popular throughout Europe due to its defensive characteristics, the armet was not very popular in Germany during its infancy. Initially, the Germans continued to favour the German sallet due style and tradition.
By the end of the 15th century, variations began transforming the classification of the “Armet” helmet into the “closed” helmet, which was favoured until the mid 17thcentury, worn by the heavily armoured pistol-armed “Cuirassiers”. While preserving the aesthetics and curves of the traditional armet, the closed helmet had a modified method of opening and closing. Like the armet, the close helmet was closed fitting and followed the contour of the head and neck, but forgoed the cheeck plates, thereby closing with a clasp around the neck.
By the late fifteenth century, the closed helmet became very popular and led the Germans to adopt a “Maximilian” armet of Augsburg form in the early 16th century (1520). The closed helmet, with its tight fitting construction, lead to an inherent impressive protective shell making it one of the most popular helmets of the middle ages as well as the renaissance era.
The Herald series Closed helm is an authentic reproduction, made of 16g steel. While not pictures, the visor of this late medieval helmet opens on three levels (the nose, bever and gorget). The inner is lined with an adjustable leather liner and strap.